When I show or sell unit in Etobicoke, especially Sherway Garden Rd., I have noticed that some owners do, but majority do NOT achieve best results decorating the unit. So, here are 10 rules, following each you will be able to make it look big, slick and schick.
Most of the following designer tricks can be applied to any room:
1. For the illusion of a larger room, use a color scheme that's light rather than bright or dark. Pastels, neutrals and white are all color possibilities.
2. Use a monochromatic color scheme on the furniture, rugs and walls. Select different shades and textures of your single color.
3. Lighting is a key element in opening up a space. Recessed spot lighting is visually appealing and is perfect for a small space. A torchiere light is great for bouncing light off of the ceiling and back down on the room. If your Sherway Garden unit facing West and has unobstructed view – use it to your advantage. OPEN blinds- as easy as it gets.
4. Limit the number of accessories to avoid the cluttered feeling.
5. The floor and the ceiling are the fifth and sixth walls of every room. A light-colored flooring such as light oak or a light-colored carpet will make the room appear brighter and more open. The same applies to the ceiling—use a light color or white to "open up" the space above.
6. Increase the appearance of the size of the room by adding wall mirrors. They not only reflect images, they reflect light and color. Be a little daring! Use mirror tiles to mirror an entire wall. Your room will appear to double in size, especially in DENS.
7. Don't place too many pieces of furniture in a small space. A love seat may work better than a full-size sofa depending on the size and shape of the room. Add two medium-sized chairs or two small wood chairs. Place the chairs closer to the wall and then pull them into the area when additional seating is needed.
8. Add paintings or prints to the walls. One large painting works better than a group of small paintings. So paly with them. Put for instance BIG picture of Sherway Garden Mall……take it yourselves.
9. The visual balance of a room is also important. A large, brightly colored element can overwhelm a room and decrease the appearance of space.
10. A glass or lucite table, whether it is a dining, coffee or end table, will keep keep the appearance of a open and free space.
I love decorating units either for sell or living! So I will be happy to meet you and help you!
Alla Tchouiko – Broker of Record / Owner of
Alto Realty Inc.